St Paul's News

Experiencing the life of an Australian elite athlete

Date: September 19, 2018

A group of 27 students from Years 7 to 11 who are a part of the St Paul’s Anglican Grammar School Elite Sports Performers (ESP) Program recently experienced the life of an Australian elite athlete during a five day tour of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in Canberra.

Students stayed and dined at the AIS residences alongside some of Australia’s finest athletes and coaches.  With access to many experts, they participated in many practical sessions on strength and conditioning, nutrition and recovery, and were also provided with behind the scenes tours not normally open to the public.

One of the highlights for the students was a practical strength and conditioning session from an AIS coach where students were shown the new and latest techniques used by Australian athletes to improve flexibility, strength and overall performance, all the while being reminded of the importance of a strong core.

As part of the special insight into the lives of elite Australian athletes, the students met many Olympic athletes and Australian coaches and trainers which included the Australian Diamonds netball squad, who invited the students to watch their closed training session.

Another highlight included Olympic Gold Medallist, Alicia Coutts supervising the ESP swimmers training sessions in the AIS pool for two mornings of their stay.

With their busy schedule the students took time out to visit the War Memorial which was described as a very moving and memorable experience, and also utilised the study time available to keep up-to-date with their school work.

The ESP Program at St Paul’s supports these students to ensure that they can be the best that they can be in all aspects of their lives and that they are supported to achieve their academic goals along with their sporting goals.

Year 10 ESP student from the St Paul’s Traralgon Campus, Tamsyn Rogers said “I loved the fact that I had the opportunity to meet the Diamonds players. I liked doing the strength and conditioning session because now I know how to write a program to help me improve.”

Year 10 student from the St Paul’s Traralgon Campus, Jesse Buhagiar said “I loved having the privilege of having the opportunity to bond with the other ESP students as well as getting advice from experts to help me with my own development.”

Year 8 ESP student from the St Paul’s Warragul Campus, Dallas Loughridge said “I enjoyed the living the life of an athlete and seeing professional athletes train. It was interesting to learn the different elements of what is required of an athlete.”

Year 10 student from the St Paul’s Warragul Campus, Jake Kallady said “My highlight was having the opportunity and privilege to explore the amazing things such as technology and equipment that the AIS have. Also, the speeches from elite athletes and being in an environment where everyone has the same mindset.”

> Back to the Elite Sports Performers Program page